Whenever I look at an object I see a word that tells me what that object is and, in more cases than not, a word that describes the color of the object. I have been diagnosed with ADHD by medical professionals. Anyway, when I look at, for example, a jacket, I see the word in my mind: "jacket." When I see a uniquely colored object, such as a red jacket, I see in my mind: "red jacket." I don't do this intentionally. When I'm familiar with what an object is or what the name of it is, I'll automatically recall it when I see it.
As for numbers, when I see a group of objects that are the same, I see them as numbered. Of course, this is assuming that there is a reasonable amount of them and that they are not miniscule. Each of them has its own number and I sort them into groups that way. What may be the cause of this?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.