I have been seeing my therapist for five months. He has a very strict cancellation policy. I went to see my MD yesterday who told me to stay out of work for 24-48 hours. Since my therapist is near my office, not my home, I canceled my appointment immediately to honor the 24 hour policy, even though I had the worst week since I have started seeing him. Around 11 am today I felt like I could drive the 25 miles to go to see him and called. I was told that he had no appointments for the day but he would call if he had an opening. I never heard from him. If I were seeing him next week that would be fine but he is on vacation from tomorrow for a week and a half. So my next appointment is two weeks from today . My husband said if it were him he would find someone else, but I should get an outside opinion. I am so very upset and have no idea on what to do. I feel a bit abandoned..
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.