Helen Farabee Centers offers the following services specially designed to meet the needs of persons with major mental illness:
- Psychiatric Evaluation
- Supportive Counseling
- Psychoactive Medication & Monitoring
- Supported Employment
- Rehabilitative Skills Training
- Supported Housing
- Community-based Crisis Intervention
All services are based on the individual's needs and choices and are structured to help the person manage their illness, encouraging independent and productive lives.
Services are available to anyone living within the 19-county service area who meets eligibility guidelines for receiving mental health services through the Department of State Health Services system. Services are available without discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex or disability.
The Center accepts Medicare, Medicaid, and most forms of private health insurance. For persons who are not eligible for health coverage, fees will be assessed on the basis of proof of the individual's (or, in some cases, the family's) complete income, with no one being denied services due to an inability to pay.
Pre-Admission Screening & Resident Review (PASRR)
PASRR is a federal requirement as documented in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 42, Part 483, Subpart C. PASRR is a process to identify people with a mental illness (MI), intellectual disability (ID), or developmental disability (DD), which is also known as a related condition (RC), who apply to, or reside in, a Medicaid-certified nursing facility (NF) to ensure the appropriateness of Nursing Facility admission. PASRR is also intended to ensure that people with MI, ID or DD are receiving all the necessary specialized services.
In Texas, local intellectual and developmental disability authorities (LIDDAs), local mental health authorities (LMHAs) and local behavioral health authorities (LBHAs) play key roles in the PASRR process. All individuals seeking entry into a Nursing Facility must have PASRR Level 1 (PL1) screening before admission. PASRR is a federally mandated program that is applied to all individuals seeking admission to a Medicaid-certified Nursing Facility, regardless of funding source.
PASRR must be administered to identify:
• individuals who have a mental illness, an intellectual disability or a developmental disability (also known as related conditions),
• the appropriateness of placement whether in the community or the nursing facility, and
• the eligibility and receipt for specialized services.
The PL1 is completed for every individual seeking admission to a Medicaid certified nursing facility regardless of their funding source or diagnosis.
• If the screening is positive — meaning the individual is suspected of having a mental illness, an intellectual disability or a developmental disability — the Local Authority will initiate the PE within 72 hours and complete and enter within 7 days, depending on the type of admission and length of stay.
• If the screening is negative — meaning the individual is not suspected of having a mental illness, an intellectual disability or a developmental disability — the Nursing Facility enters the PL1 into the Texas Medicaid Healthcare Partnership Long-term Care (LTC) Online portal, and the PASRR process ends for that individual.
More information on the PASRR program found at the HHSC link: https://hhs.texas.gov/doing-business-hhs/provider-portals/resources/preadmission-screening-resident-review-pasrr
PASRR Fax Number: 940-397-3185.
To Learn More About Behavioral Health Services
Crisis Intervention Services are available 24 hours a day by calling, toll-free, 1-800-621-8504.
To find out more about how to access services for someone with mental illness, please call the mental health center nearest you. We will be happy to discuss available services and arrange an initial appointment to begin the evaluation process, if appropriate.
Behavioral health centers are located in the following North Texas towns:
- Bowie (940) 696-6267
- Childress (940) 937-3644
- Decatur (940) 627-1251
- Graham (940) 549-4896
- Haskell (940) 864-3472
- Quanah (940) 663-5366
- Seymour (940) 889-2277
- Vernon (940) 553-4002
- Wichita Falls (940) 397-3300